Friday, November 20, 2009

Which City is Better, Delhi or Mumbai? Neither Please


Every time I meet someone for the first time in Delhi, where I have lived since August last year, they invariably ask me: "So Delhi Must Be Tough on Bombay, no? Which do you prefer, Delhi or Bombay? "
For the first six months I said, Bombay of course! Or, when I was feeling a non-communicative I snarled: "Surely you know the answer to that question!"

Then I got bored of my response. "If you have a good pedicurist and a good driver," I began saying, "you can survive any city."

Recently though, I can not understand why anyone Thinks either of these cities is worth living in. Just a couple of weeks before the anniversary of 26/11, Nationalist Congress Party politician RR Patil was reinstated as the state's home minister. Everyone Remembers what Patil said on 26/11: "Big cities face these kinds of small problems." Those of us Whose links with the city go back further in time also remember him as the man who was responsible for shutting down the city's dance bars .

No comments:

Post a Comment


Share/Save/Bookmark
Bookmark and Share